||"Oh, birthday boy! Get ready for a surpriiiise!"|
Remain mindful that this page may contains spoilers for related material. If you are new to anything, like if you have not played the game or read the book yet, please read at your own risk!
- Not what you were looking for? See Vanessa
“Gregory, your friends are worried about you. They're here with me. Please, come out. Gregory, I may have lost my temper earlier, but it was just a glitch. It won't happen again. It's been such a difficult day for all of us. Why don't you come out, and we can play a game together.”
Vanny is the presumed main antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach, who briefly appeared in Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted.
It's currently unclear whether she is the main protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted, or a different character entirely.
Vanny is a slim, tall woman wearing a white bunny costume. Her costume has stitching all over it, with a large pink tartan stitching on her left hip. The costume also has a right-tilted blue bow on the chest and its hands and feet have pink paw pads under them. Her bunny mask has a wide, creepy smile with small buck teeth, a pair of long whiskers, small eyebrows and big, glowing red eyes that appear to be spaced out.
Vanny seems to be very manipulative as she attempts to trick her target Gregory into falling into a trap by pretending to be nice and well meaning. She seems to cower from her master Glitchtrap, as shown in scrapped dialogue she quivers in fear while talking to him. She has uncertainty from her voice when being confronted about her task implying she isn't fully ready to kill victims. Additionally, her alias reluctant follower may mean she is not working with him willingly.
While not appearing physically, Vanny's voice can only be heard. In order to hear it, the player must:
- Obtain Glitchtrap's plush after collecting 16 Tapes in the basic hub's levels.
- Obtain the grinning white rabbit mask from the cellar while completing the Afraid of the Dark mode's "Corn Maze" level from the Curse of Dreadbear hub.
Back in the main area of the Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience, the rabbit mask will be found in the Prize Counter. The player must wear the mask and hold the Glitchtrap plush to hear the voice. While holding the plush, Vanny can be heard saying the following:
“Yes, I hear you. I know... No. There’s no miscommunication... I understand... Yes, I have it. I made it myself. I think you would like it... No, no one suspects anything... Don’t worry, I’ll be ready, and I won’t let you down. It will be fun.”
|"I was the first! I have seen everything!"|
This article or section contains a lot of speculation, which usually occurs from pre-release media, or just things that are still unknown, so please keep that in mind while reading. The page will continue to be updated with the most accurate information as more solid evidence is supplied.
The name "Reluctant Follower" was found on voices.com. Since it appears to be the only new, unattributed name to anything, the voice from the mask seems very likely to be Vanny. On November 5th, 2019, the Glamrock Freddy teaser on scottgames.com was updated to include a small, rabbit-like silhouette in the skylight of the mall that has a rather feminine figure with ears similar to the Corn Maze mask. Opening the image in Notepad, the string "S h a d o w o f V a n n y" appears. In the source code of scottgames.com, since the teasers for the new game started appearing there, a conversation can be found:
Stay the course.
Focus on my voice.
Don't let anyone lead you astray.
Have you selected one?
Assuming all this is related, fans have drawn a few popular, though yet unproven, conclusions, including:
- Reluctant Follower's name is Vanessa, with Vanny being a nickname for them.
- It is possible that Vanny is a portmanteau of "Vanessa" and "Bunny."
- In Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery, a character called "Ness" was introduced. Ness has been stated to search disturbing content, such as subjects related to torture, "self-compliance", and "help", and doing things to herself like dyeing her hair rainbow stripes. It is possible that she may actually be the Vanny, and the name "Ness" is short for her real name Vanessa.
- However, there is another character named Vanessa in the game, which could disprove her name being Vanessa.
- Reluctant Follower is the player's character in Help Wanted and the heard dialogue is the player speaking to someone.
- Vanny is sometimes thought to be Tape Girl.
- This is easily disproven due to Reluctant Follower and Tape Girl having different voice actresses.
- Vanny is part of a cult that has William Afton as its central figure.
- This idea is hard to support as the only known member of the supposed cult would be Vanny with Jeremy being another potential member, though evidence of that is weak.
- Vanny is a protege of William Afton, who will continue his killings after he's gone.
- Vanny sent the materials to Silver Parasol Games to allow Glitchtrap to appear in the game and allow him to escape into someone else's body, effectively reviving William Afton.
- She and Vanessa relatively share the same name, speculating that they could be connected.
- A plausible theory is that she and Vanessa are the same person with Glitchtrap controlling her; which in turn resulted in a Vanny alter-ego.
- Despite Vanny initially being referred as "Reluctant Follower", meaning a person who unwillingly follows one's commands, Vanny doesn't seem to take commands reluctantly. This could mean that "Reluctant Follower" was the first stage of when Glitchtrap was corrupting Vanny.
- Yet, it is still unknown how Vanny was able to get fully manipulated and corrupted to become as sinister and evil as Glitchtrap.
- However it's highly implied that Vanny is the protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, if this is true, this would mean that she was most likely corrupted when Glitchtrap attempted to fuse with her, although he failed so he may have been at least influential on her due to the merging being semi-complete.
- Vanny could have also been influenced by Glitchtrap's motives, and wanting to become as powerful as he was, although this would seem unlikely, hence due to the fact that Glitchtrap corrupted Vanny during the merging process.
- Vanny is the fourth human character in the franchise to have merchandise based on her, the other three being the Five Nights at Freddy's 8-bit Mcfarlane toys of William Afton, the Foxy Bully, and the Crying Child from Five Nights at Freddy's 4.
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted
- The character's name is shown on voices.com where her voice actress posted a feedback to Scott Cawthon's page.
- Vanny's rabbit mask is referred as "
strangemask" in the files.
- In Flat Mode, Vanny's voice can only be triggered at the Prize Counter. In order to trigger the voice, the player must immediately pick up the Glitchtrap plush after pressing the Prize Counter button.
- It is also possible to throw the Glitchtrap plush across the hub area, making it reachable from from Prize Counter.
Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach
- As seen in the trailer, Vanny will presumably jumpscare the player during gameplay.
- She is the first living human of the entire franchise to jumpscare the player, as only animatronics have this role.
- In the trailer her eyes glow red, similar to Withered Bonnie from Five Nights at Freddy's 2.
- As shown on Vanny's teaser "OBEY" and other teasers/posters linking to Security Breach. It is unknown why she's wearing a different outfit, apart from the mask in Help Wanted.
- Although it's implied that Vanny may have made her own disguise.