Rare Screens and Objects are the recurring Easter eggs found throughout the Five Nights at Freddy's series. They appear as some form of hallucination-like events, uncommon image screens, and hidden objects that can be seen on occasions. Throughout the series, the player may experience them through camera systems, inside the Office, or outside gameplay.
- 1 Five Nights at Freddy's
- 2 Five Nights at Freddy's 2
- 3 Five Nights at Freddy's 3
- 4 Five Nights at Freddy's 4
- 5 Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location
- 6 Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator
- 7 Ultimate Custom Night
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Audio
- 10 References
There are three main types of ingame hallucinations - visual hallucinations, object hallucinations, and Golden Freddy himself. Most of the hallucinations are randomized, and can occur at any time on any night, even as early as Night 1.
The words "IT'S ME" randomly appear, in tandem with rapidly alternating images of a black-eyed version of Bonnie (with his left pupil off centered in a similar way to the medical condition strabismus, commonly known as "lazy-eye"), an eyeless version of Bonnie, and Freddy Fazbear with human eyes. Sounds taken from the Night 5 phone call accompany these hallucinations. The visual "IT'S ME" hallucinations have a 0.1% chance to appear every second.
East Hall Walls
Rarely, in the East Hall, the posters from the wall will be replaced with drawn "IT'S ME" texts or crudely drawn faces of crying children in a similar style to that of Edvard Munch's Der Schrei der Natur. Note that such hallucinations cannot occur if Freddy or Chica is in the camera feed.
"IT'S ME" Sign
Backstage Masks and Endoskeleton
Randomly, from the East Hall corner, the "Rules for Safety" poster will sometime change to a newspaper clipping, telling the backstory of the "Missing Children Incident". There is a total of four newspaper clippings.
West Hall Poster
The poster seen in the West Hall Corner can change to an image of Freddy ripping his own head off or, rarely, Golden Freddy's close-up. Should the poster change to the latter, Golden Freddy will appear in the Office once the Monitor is pulled down.
Eyeless Bonnie Screen
The image screen of Bonnie with empty eye sockets has a 1 in 1000 (0.1%) chance of appearing whenever the player is sent to the title screen, whether it be from starting the game up, getting a Game Over, or reaching one of the endings. After 9.5 seconds, two small white pupils will appear in Bonnie's eyes for a further 0.5 seconds before the player is sent to the title screen proper.
Golden Freddy by Game Over
While on the Game Over screen, a random number between 1 and 10000 (0.01%) is rolled every second. If this number happens to be '1' on the tenth second where the game would normally return to the title screen, Golden Freddy's jumpscare will load instead of the main menu and the game will close.
There are four animatronics who have a small chance to appear on-screen:
- RWQFSFASXC - Appears in the Office, and will cause the game to crash after being looked at enough.
- Shadow Freddy - Appears in the Parts/Service room only after all the withered animatronics have left.
- Endo-02 - Appears in the Prize Corner and the Left Air Vent.
- JJ - Appears in the Office, where she can be seen peeking under the office desk.
Paper Plate Doll in Office
Sometimes, a paper cutout doll may inexplicably disappear from Party Room 4 (CAM 04) and reappear in the Office, hanging on the far wall to the right of the entryway. It is unknown as to why or how this happens.
Puppet in Main Hall
Occasionally, after the Puppet has left the Prize Corner, it may appear on the camera for very short intervals at random times. It appears in the Main Hall camera (CAM 07), usually flashing its face for short intervals, or sometimes even standing up.
- When the Puppet's face appears on the camera, all of the static will vanish, most likely due to PNG rendering.
- The Puppet's standing hallucination reveals that it may actually be the size of a large human being.
- The Puppet appears to be floating in its full-body hallucination, unlike all other hallucinations (excluding Golden Freddy's disembodied head) and animatronics, which always seem to be touching the ground. This can also be seen in the sprite of the Puppet in the Death Minigames, where it is also floating.
Rare Boot Screens
On very rare occasions, the player may experience an Easter egg image of one of three eyeless animatronics, much like the eyeless Bonnie from the first game. While the images are being displayed, the sound that plays is usually the sound the Flashlight makes when it is disabled repeating itself until it's over. The animatronics that may appear are Withered Freddy, or Withered Foxy, or Toy Bonnie.
- Withered Freddy appears rarely when the player starts the game.
- Withered Foxy appears rarely when the player starts a night.
- Toy Bonnie appears randomly when the player loses.
Rare Springtrap Screens
Similar to the eyeless screens from the first and second games, the player may encounter a picture of Springtrap. When starting a night, there are three images which the player can encounter. Upon closer inspection, the corpse of William Afton can be seen inside of Springtrap.
In the third screen, Springtrap can be seen almost opening his entire head in a manner similar to the Freddy poster hallucination in Five Nights at Freddy's, revealing mostly the corpse's remaining head inside the suit. The sound that plays during this is the sound byte of William killing the player in the end-of-the-night minigames.
Spring Bonnie Posters
On CAM 02 and CAM 10, the player has a rare chance of seeing the posters of Freddy change to posters of Springtrap's original counterpart Spring Bonnie. There is no known trigger for this, yet they do appear at very rare intervals. The purpose for these occurrences are unknown, as they have no known effect on gameplay. The posters return to their normal appearance when Springtrap is located on these cameras.
There are three animatronics who has a small chance to appear on-screen:
- Shadow Freddy - Rarely, the player may see what appears to be Shadow Freddy slumped in the left-most end of the Office.
- Mr. Cupcake - Rarely, a cupcake can appear in the Office. Unlike the aforementioned appearances of the cupcakes on CAM 02, CAM 03, CAM 04, and CAM 06, the cupcake in the Office is identical to the one from the Office in the first game. Contrary to popular belief, it is not triggered when the player collects all the cupcakes in Chica's Party. It is unknown what purpose it serves, as it does not affect gameplay.
- Mr. Cupcake and Golden Cupcake - Rarely, on CAM 04, what is normally a poster of Toy Bonnie will change to an image of either a gold or a pink Cupcake. Although it is a rare occurrence, it serves no known purpose. It is unknown what triggers this strange event.
Paper Plate Dolls
Much like the second game's paper plate doll appearing in the Office, either the Bonnie or Freddy paper plate doll will randomly appear in The Office, the Bonnie plate doll at the left hand side above the box of animatronic parts, and the Freddy plate doll in the top right-hand corner of the Office. Almost ironically, said box is also where the original BB paper plate doll itself resides. There is no known trigger for either of them. This is also true for the mobile version.
There is only one rare Easter egg, which occurs from the Bed. From the same location, a bottle of pills, a vase of flowers, or an IV drip may be seen on the bedside table located from the left.
Only two hidden animatronics (both will later appear in the Custom Night mode) can be identified:
- Lolbit - Has a small chance to replace Ennard's mask in the Primary Control Module.
- Yenndo - Appears occasionally in the Funtime Auditorium to replace Funtime Foxy.
- In the Primary Control Module, a pirouetting Minireena has a smaller chance to appear at the left side of the room.
- Occasionally, during The Immortal and the Restless segment, Minireena may appear at the far left within the living room.
- Furthermore, there is a rare chance to see Minireena popping up from the bowl of popcorn.
- Bidybab can occasionally appear behind the window from the Elevator and Circus Control.
- At home while watching The Immortal and the Restless, Bidybab can rarely appear from the darkness at the right side.
When entering an area or booting the game, a blueprint of one of the four main animatronics will randomly appear on the screen for a minute or two.
Rare Back Alley Screens
These rare animated scenes from the Back Alley occur after the game over, completing the shift, or booting up the game.
"The One You Should Not Have Killed"
This rare screen takes the form of a mysterious image of a partially-obscured face, appearing to be that of a grinning child. It is referred as "The one you should not have killed", mentioned by Nightmare Freddy, Withered Chica, Mangle, and Jack-O-Chica.
This hallucination can occasionally appear after the Game Over screen, when pulling up the Monitor, or outside of one of the doors or vents within the Office. It bears a striking similarity to some of the rare death images from previous games, though it is unique in that it can also be seen occasionally through in-game mechanics, such as the Monitor and doors.
FNaF World Characters
- In the first Five Nights at Freddy's game, if a visual hallucination occurs while Bonnie or Chica are in their respective hall corners on Night 1, Night 2, or Night 3, the sound clip will continue to play until they leave the corners.
- This bug occurs because the sound clip is the same sound that Bonnie or Chica make when in the corners during Night 4, 5, Night 6, and the Custom Night. The condition that mutes the sound requires Bonnie or Chica not to be in the corners, so the sound still plays when it's supposed to on Nights 4-7. However, it doesn't take into account what night it is, hence the bug.
- The hallucinations of Bonnie from the first game may be a reference to Scott Cawthon's opinion that Bonnie is the scariest of the animatronics, even having nightmares of Bonnie while the game was still in development.
- In Ultimate Custom Night, "The one you should not have killed" child face is an edited photo of Scott Cawthon's youngest son Jason.
|The sound when Withered Freddy, Withered Foxy, and Toy Bonnie's rare boot screen appeared in Five Nights at Freddy's 2.|
|The sound when Springtrap's rare boot screen appeared in Five Nights at Freddy's 3. This is the same sound when William Afton dismantled the animatronic from the end-of-night minigames.|
- Originally found by GBAura.
- "Along these same lines, keep in mind that I DO tend to use pictures of me and my family in the games just because they are so readily available. My little boy, Jason, is the face of "The one you should not have killed" in UCN. I'll share the original sometime; he looks sweet as an angel in the original picture and I turned him into a monster! In FNAF4, I used a picture of a mountain range that I took while I was a truck driver in West Texas. I used a picture of a snowman that me and my older sons made together. I used a picture of a pet Mockingbird that we nursed back to health one year. Do these have lore significance? Well, you probably already know the answer." - A lore question about Help Wanted, and an answer!, Reddit
|Core Series Mechanics|