|"You Know What Will Happen If He Catches You"|
This article contains a lot of speculation. This usually occurs from pre-release media, or just things that are still unknown, so please keep that in mind while reading this page. We will continue to update this article with the most accurate information as more solid evidence is supplied.
- Were you looking for the protagonist from the first game; Mike Schmidt, or his father; William Afton?
|“||Father... It's me, Michael.||”|
— Michael Afton in the final cutscene ending, Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location
As is common with other protagonists in the Five Nights at Freddy's series, little to nothing of the protagonist is shown. In the game's real ending, the reflection of a simple, black silhouette in a dirty mirror is all that can be seen. In the Custom Night minigames, it's seen that he has a fairly light skin tone, dark brown hair, and blue eyes. He also wears a purple shirt and blue pants.
Initially, very little was known about the protagonist, aside from the fact he was the technician hired to take care of the location and its animatronics. He returned to his job every night of the week despite the danger, which even HandUnit mentions. He also seems to enjoy watching soap operas or at least "The Immortal and Restless" as he spent all of his nights watching the program. In his monologue in the Custom Night cutscene, Micheal revealed that he was hired on his father's request to find and free his sister, showing a strong family loyalty. He also seemed happy when saying Elizabeth was "free now", further showing his affection for her.
Custom Night Cutscenes
|The following information contains spoilers. To view them, click the [show] tag.|
After beating a Custom Night preset on Very Hard mode, a cutscene plays the event after Ennard wearing Michael's skin from the Real Ending. There are a total of 8 cutscenes.
In the first cutscene, he looks like a normal man, wearing a purple shirt and blue pants. The people around him wave cheerfully.
In the second cutscene, everything is the same, but he has minor skin color change from tan-pink to tan. The people around him continue to wave cheerfully.
In the third cutscene, his skin seems to be more of a green color and his eyes are now dark gray instead of blue. The first person he walks past has a bewildered expression on his face.
In the fourth cutscene, his skin becomes a darker greenish-brown; his eyes are also now completely black. The last three people he walks by look on in confusion.
In the fifth cutscene, he looks much more decrepit than he did in the past cutscenes, with his skin looking more greenish-brown in color, half of his hair missing, and a strange glow in one eye. Everyone around him appears very concerned.
In the sixth cutscene, his skin has turned a dull light-indigo, now having a cream colored glow in both of his eyes, crooked teeth, and is completely bald. His pants have also changed from a vivid blue to a dull teal color. There are fewer people around him, and one of them is hiding behind their house in fear.
In the last cutscene, he is hunched over, missing his nose, and his skin is a dark purple color. His eyes have changed from a dull cream color to completely white. His shoes, along with all of his other apparel, are missing apart from his pants, which have not changed since the previous cutscene. His appearance is now very reminiscent of William Afton in the previous games. Everyone around him has hidden behind their houses in dread. Eventually, his body has a spasm, and he regurgitates Ennard's remains into the sewer. He lies on the ground, presumably dead. The player then hears Circus Baby's voice repeating "you won't die", and he then rises in an unnatural manner while the regurgitated animatronic eyes show up in the sewer.
After beating Golden Freddy mode on Very Hard, another cutscene will play involving Michael. During the whole cutscene, Michael says;
Soon after, Springtrap appears and the screen goes black.
- As with his father William, and as evident by the Golden Freddy mode cutscene, Michael speaks using a southeastern English accent.
- His nickname is a reference to a type of food named "Eggs Benedict".
- His short name, "Mike", is noticed on the white sticker printed above the screen from the HandUnit.
- Michael is either the first protagonist in the series to die canonically during main gameplay, or the second to die overall if theories about the Five Nights at Freddy's 4 protagonist are to be believed.
- He is the only protagonist in the series that is a technician.
- He is also the second protagonist in the series to not be working as a night guard for any of the establishments, after the fourth game's protagonist.
- He is the third protagonist to be jumpscared and live, as the player gets jumpscared by Funtime Foxy at the end of Night 3 but the next night starts after that. The first being the protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 3 by the phantom animatronics and the second being the protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 4 with Nightmare Foxy/Nightmare Mangle.
- Michael is the fifth character in the series to physically reveal part of his human appearance, with his silhouette being seen through the mirror along with purple eyes. The other ones are Mike Schmidt from the first game (in the Game Over screen), William from the third and sixth game, and the two hanged technicians on this game.
- Assuming the child from Five Nights at Freddy's 4 is not the main protagonist, this is the first time in which a character's appearance is detailed in any way, done so via a silhouette.
- The name "Eggs Benedict" is impossible to type on HandUnit's keypad since the letter B is missing.
- He seems to be a fan of the show "The Immortal and the Restless", even going as far as to bring out a bowl of popcorn for the occasion.
- His appearance in the mirror in the "real" ending appears to be a blacked-out image of Rick Astley from his 1987 music video "Never Gonna Give You Up", which has gained notability due to its use in the infamous RickRoll.
- During the fake ending, Michael is the third protagonist in the series to be fired, following Mike Schmidt from the first game, and Fritz Smith from the second game.
- However, he doesn't receive a slip stating that he is fired, unlike Mike Schmidt and Fritz Smith.
- Michael speaks with a robotic voice in the final cutscene. This caused some confusion over whether this was intentional. Scott Cawthon later confirmed that this was for dramatic effect.
- In Five Nights at Freddy's: Survival Logbook, it’s revealed that Michael knows about Nightmare Fredbear.
Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location
Michael Afton talking at the end of the FNaF sister location custom night.
|“||Father. It's me, Michael. I did it. I found it. It was right where you said it would be. They were all there. They didn't recognize me at first but then they thought I was you. And I found her. I put her back together, just like you asked me to. She's free now. But something is wrong with me. I should be dead. But I'm not. I've been living in shadows. There is only one thing left for me to do now. I'm going to come find you. I'm going to come find you.||”|