|"What a mess! Oh, which was the bottom? Where is the top? Clean up! Clean up!""
This article is disorganized, lacking content, containing low-quality images, etc. It requires cleanup to bring higher quality to the article's standards.
“Something is wrong with me. I should be dead. But I'm not. I've been living in shadows. There is only one thing left for me to do now. I'm going to come find you.”
Michael Afton (also nicknamed as "Eggs Benedict" by the HandUnit) is the main protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location. He is also the eldest son of Fazbear Entertainment's co-founder and serial killer William Afton, and the older brother of Elizabeth Afton.
As seen from the Real Ending, the reflection of a simple, black silhouette in a dirty mirror is all that can be seen. In the Custom Night minigames, it's shown that he has a fairly light skin tone, darkish brown hair that seems to be combed over, and blue eyes. He also wears a purple long sleeved-shirt, blue pants, and brown shoes.
Like his father William, he appears to have a elongated smile, although it appears more friendly and warm, rather than his father's sadistic and unnerving smile.
After being reanimated and becoming a living corpse, he appears to be physically dark purple, due to his skin rotting. He also seems to have lost his nose, hair, and almost all of his bottom and front teeth. His eyeballs seem to be missing from his now dark and empty sockets. The only sign of life from them is the two small white illuminating pupils, similar to the ones the animatronics sometimes possess.
During his adulthood in Sister Location, Michael is shown to have matured greatly and changed as a person, an example being when he returned to his job at Circus Baby's Entertainment and Rental every night of the week despite the danger, which HandUnit mentions, implying that he is extremely brave. This is further shown in the non-canonical Fake Ending, when Ennard breaks into his house. In spite of that, he continued to eat his popcorn, unfazed by this revelation. He also seems to have a cultured taste in entertainment, as he enjoys watching soap operas and dramas on television, such as "The Immortal and Restless", as he spent nearly every night watching the program and even made popcorn for the event. He is shown to be a friendly and popular person, as all of his neighbors happily wave to him in the end-of-night minigames.
In the Survival Logbook, Michael is shown to be sarcastic, making various comments about Fazbear Entertainment's lack of safety or care for its employees. The book also shows that Michael is paranoid while on the job, suggesting he sleeps with one eye open during his night shifts. When asked why he wanted the job on page six, he states it's for the free pizza, implying that his reasons for working are fairly simple. He also seems to enjoy snacking on food, which is shown later on in the book, where he expresses that eating increases his happiness. When asked what he would like for his end of the week bonus, he circles the money basket with emphasis, meaning that like anyone else, he would've rather had a basket of cash than any other meaningless prize basket, showing that Michael has his priorities straight and is a responsible person. However, in the Fake Ending of Sister Location, he chooses to accept the Exotic Butters basket in spite of its uselessness, showing that Michael is a grateful person and can be content with what is given to him, even when he doesn’t get what he wants.
There are multiple scribbles in the book drawn by Michael, implying that he enjoys drawing and is extremely talented at it. It's implied in the book that Michael is an extremely hard worker who is desperate for cash in order to make ends meet, which is why it's also stated that Michael desires to take a tropical vacation. Michael may or may not have a flair for business in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator, as his choices are influenced by the player. It's seen in the book that Michael has a very bad habit of chewing bubble gum, implying that he is a very anxious person who gets quite stressed at times, but to his credit, Michael states that he wants to get this habit under control, showing a need to better himself. He may also be annoyed by incompetence, as in the logbook, he shows frustration that he is the only one fazed by the unsettling occurrences in his job.
In his monologue during the Sister Location: Custom Night ending cutscene, Michael reveals that the main reason he applied for the job at Circus Baby's Entertainment and Rental was because of his father's request to find and free his little sister Elizabeth, who's spirit has possessed the mascot animatronic of the facility, Circus Baby, implying that he was close to her before her death and has deeply missed her, as well as even being brave enough to go into a facility with murderous animatronics to rescue her. He also seemed happy when saying that Elizabeth was "free now", further showing his affection for her. He speaks in a rather gentle, yet brooding tone of voice, in stark contrast to his father's more sinister tone of speaking. Michael also shows sadness at the fact that he is now a monster unable of being seen in public, forcing him to hide in the shadows. Michael, like many people in the series, potentially seeks revenge against William for everything he had done, as he stated that the only purpose he had left in life is to "come find him". This could mean that he wanted to kill him.
On Night 1, Michael got a job as a technician at Circus Baby's Entertainment and Rental, and HandUnit greets him. Then showing him how to check on the animatronics, and if they are not in their proper places, he must electrocute them to put them back on to their stages. Michael successfully electrocutes Ballora and Funtime Foxy, but couldn't do the same to Circus Baby, since she wasn't on her stage.
Michael during his time off watches episode one of his favorite soap opera show The Immortal and the Restless on television while enjoying popcorn.
On Night 2, Michael checks on Ballora and Funtime Foxy, but when he checks on Baby, the control-shock doesn't work, causing HandUnit to shut down the system. After this, Baby starts talking to Michael and questions why he’s here, she tells him to hide under the desk. After surviving the Bidybabs, Michael slowly and carefully crawls through the Ballora Gallery, thankfully avoiding Ballora. He then manages to get to the Breaker Room, where he reboots all systems while playing audio to keep Funtime Freddy at bay.
After returning home from his shift Michael once again watches the immortal and the restless while enjoying popcorn.
On Night 3, Michael returns, checking on Ballora and Funtime Foxy. He then runs through the Funtime Auditorium while avoiding Funtime Foxy. Michael arrives at Parts and Service, where he performs a repair on Funtime Freddy and traps Bon Bon to get Freddy's second power module. When he returns through the Funtime Auditorium, Funtime Foxy attacks him, knocking him unconscious.
On Night 4, Michael wakes up in a springlock suit. Then Baby starts talking to him and explains that she kidnapped him in order to protect him from the other animatronics. Then two technicians enter the building and send Ballora to the Scooping Room, where Michael is located. Then Michael witnessed how the Scooper is used on Ballora, afterwards he survives an attack by Ballora’s companions the Minireenas.
Michael enjoys popcorn and watches the second to last episode of the immortal and the restless before he starts his final shift.
On Night 5, Michael checks the stages, only to see the same two technicians from the night before have been killed hanged dead on both the stages. He goes back through the Funtime Auditorium, and into Parts and Service, to see a lifeless Circus Baby. She explains that she is faking it and that something bad happened that day. He then enters a sequence of random numbers on a keyboard that opens out of Baby's left center faceplate. After entering the access code, Michael receives a chip from her upper armpit so that she can communicate with him after they have picked it up. Following this Michael sends Baby to the Scooping Room. She then instructs him to return to the Funtime Auditorium and follow her instructions. Once Michael completes Baby's instructions. She reveals that his help was actually part of a plan to use him as a host body to escape the rental facility. Then the scooper is used on Michael, killing him.
Custom Night Cutscenes
After beating a Custom Night preset on Very Hard mode, a cutscene plays the event after Ennard wearing Michael's skin from the Real Ending. There are a total of 8 cutscenes.
In the first cutscene, he looks like a normal man, wearing a purple shirt and blue pants. The people around him wave cheerfully.
In the second cutscene, everything is the same, but he has minor skin color change from tan-pink to tan. The people around him continue to wave cheerfully.
In the third cutscene, his skin seems to be more of a green color and his eyes are now dark gray instead of blue. The first person he walks past has a bewildered expression on his face.
In the fourth cutscene, his skin becomes a darker greenish-brown; his eyes are also now completely black. The last three people he walks by look on in confusion.
In the fifth cutscene, he looks much more decrepit than he did in the past cutscenes, with his skin looking more greenish-brown in color, half of his hair missing, and a strange glow in one eye. Everyone around him appears very concerned.
In the sixth cutscene, his skin has turned a dull light-indigo, now having a cream-colored glow in both of his eyes, crooked teeth, and is completely bald. His pants have also changed from a vivid blue to a dull teal color. There are fewer people around him, and one of them is hiding behind their house in fear.
In the last cutscene, he is hunched over, missing his nose, and his skin is a dark purple color. His eyes have changed from a dull cream color to completely white. His shoes, along with all of his other apparel, are missing apart from his pants, which have not changed since the previous cutscene. His appearance is now very reminiscent of William Afton in the previous games. Everyone around him has hidden behind their houses in dread. Eventually, his body has a spasm, and he regurgitates Ennard's remains into the sewer. He lies on the ground, presumably dead. The player then hears Circus Baby's voice repeating "you won't die", and he then rises in an unnatural manner while the regurgitated animatronic eyes show up in the sewer.
After beating Golden Freddy mode on Very Hard, another cutscene will play involving Michael. During the whole cutscene, Michael says:
“Father. It's me, Michael. I did it. I found it. It was right where you said it would be. They were all there. They didn't recognize me at first but then they thought I was you. And I found her. I put her back together, just like you asked me to. She's free now. But something is wrong with me. I should be dead. But I'm not. I've been living in shadows. There is only one thing left for me to do now. I'm going to come find you. [ominous voice] I'm going to come find you...”
Soon after, Springtrap appears and the screen goes black.
Theories and Speculations
|"I was the first! I have seen everything!"
This section archives a lot of theories and speculation, which usually occurs from pre-release media, or just things that are still unknown, so please keep that in mind while reading. The page will continue to be updated with the most accurate information as more solid evidence is supplied.
- There is a theory debate in the FNaF community that Michael Afton could've been the the Crying Child's older brother (the FNaF 4 bully) or the Crying Child himself.
- It is believed throughout the Five Nights at Freddy's: Survival Logbook that the book at one point belonged to Michael Afton, and in the book, there are many allusions to the Crying Child, which some fans interpreted as the book loosely implying that Michael could've been the Crying Child.
- A drawing of Nightmare Fredbear can be seen in the book. This led people to assume Michael knows about Nightmare Fredbear in the logbook.
- However, as seen in Step Closer, the protagonist Pete has many similarities/connections with Michael and how he could've been the older brother.
- In the story, Pete’s arm turns dark purple when his circulation was cut off, similar to how Michael turned into a dark purple corpse in Sister Location.
- Pete has a habit of excessively chewing gum. Michael also seems to have a habit of excessively chewing gum, as revealed in the Survival Logbook.
- Pete bullies his younger brother Chuck using his fear of Foxy, just like how the older brother wears a Foxy mask to scare the Crying Child.
- In the Midnight Motorist minigame inside what many believe to be the Afton residence, one can see a person with similar grey text like the older brother watching television in a similar living room that Michael watched TV in Sister Location, suggesting that the person watching TV was the older brother and thus a younger version of Michael.
- The Freddy Files, the official guide book for the series, documents him as the older brother in all three editions. However, it still needs to be confirmed completely.
- In Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator. there are rare boot screens that show the animatronics in the back alley. One of the screens has a poster of a man with three puppets. This poster is believed to represent the Afton family, as one puppet is a clown, which seems to represent Elizabeth, the other is a bear, which represents the Crying Child, and the third is a ventriloquist dummy who looks like an exact replica of the puppeteer, which seemingly represents Michael. The older brother is completely absent in the poster, leading to the assumption that the older brother is depicted as being Michael. However, Emese Szigetvári confirmed that the posters bear no lore.
- This is also shown in Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach, as in the S.T.A.F.F. Bot silo, one can see a table with S.T.A.F.F. Bots possibly representing a family of five, which appears to be representing the Afton family. There, Michael is also seemly depicted as the older brother.
- Given the evidence, it seems that there are more signs pointing towards Michael being the older brother rather than the Crying Child, especially considering that the child died in Five Nights at Freddy's 4 long before the events of Sister Location where Michael is the protagonist. Additionally, it is mostly assumed as of now that the Crying Child actually haunted the logbook, explaining the many allusions to the child as they were the child's memories. Further in the same logbook it was also seemingly revealed the Crying Child's real name was Evan Afton and not Michael Afton almost definitely ruling out Michael as the Crying Child.
- It’s implied by Step Closer that the reason Michael bullied the Crying Child was because he was angry at his parents divorce. This would tie into why Mrs. Afton was absent throughout the series, as she could have divorced William at some point.
- As with his father William, and as evident by the Golden Freddy mode cutscene, Michael speaks using a South-Eastern English accent.
- The Survival Logbook revealed many things about Michael Afton's personality and hobbies.
- He has a bad habit of chewing bubblegum.
- He seems to be a fan of the show "The Immortal and the Restless", even going as far as to bring out a bowl of popcorn for the occasion.
- It also reveals that his favorite TV character is Clara from the The Immortal and the Restless.
- Michael actually prefers a basket of cash instead of Exotic Butters.
- The Survival Logbook heavily implies that Mike Schmidt and Michael Afton are the same person, as the owner of the logbook also named "Mike" draws the casual bongos, exotic butters, and the soap opera The Immortal and the Restless from Sister Location, only things Michael would know, it was asked "List ten reasons why applying for Freddy Fazbear's Pizza seemed like a good idea at the time?"
- It is theorized that Michael is the protagonist in FNaF 3, and FNaF 2 (as Fritz Smith), as implied by What We Found and You're the Band from Fazbear Frights series. However, there is also a possibility that Hudson was the real name for the third game's protagonist.
- Michael is one of the only human characters in the series seen outside of minigame cutscenes with the other being Mike Schmidt.
- A theory prominent in the Five Nights at Freddy's community is that Michael may be the protagonist in Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator. This is evidenced by the animatronics' voice lines and Henry's quote implying that the protagonist would've wanted to die among the animatronics as Michael is undead, and Michael's line about finding a place where all of the animatronics are located including his father.
- It's implied by the creator Scott Cawthon that Michael will be the protagonist of the upcoming Five Nights at Freddy's (Film).
- Michael Afton, along with the novel version of Charlotte Emily, have been considered the most developed and interesting protagonists in the franchise, as they are the only ones so far with a fleshed out backstory and a direct connection to the lore, as their respective fathers William Afton and Henry Emily were the founders of Fazbear Entertainment, Inc.
- His nickname is a reference to a type of food named "Eggs Benedict".
- His short name, "Mike", is noticed on the white sticker printed above the screen from the HandUnit.
- Michael is the second protagonist in the series to die, the first being the Crying Child from Five Nights at Freddy's 4.
- He is the only protagonist in the series that is a technician.
- He is the third protagonist to be jumpscared and live, as the player gets jumpscared by Funtime Foxy at the end of Night 3 but the next night starts after that. The first being the protagonist of Five Nights at Freddy's 3 by the phantom animatronics and the second being the Crying Child with Nightmare Foxy/Nightmare Mangle.
- Michael is the fifth character in the series to physically reveal part of his human appearance, with his silhouette being seen through the mirror along with purple eyes. The other ones are Mike Schmidt from the first game (in the Game Over screen), William from the third and sixth game, and the two hanged technicians on this game.
- Michael could potentially be counted as the sixth if Elizabeth in the death minigame is counted, but depending on player experience, this could come before or after Michael's reveal.
- The name "Eggs Benedict" is impossible to type on HandUnit's keypad since the letter B is missing.
- His appearance in the mirror in the "real" ending appears to be a blacked-out image of Rick Astley from his 1987 music video "Never Gonna Give You Up", which has gained notability due to its use in the infamous Rick Roll meme.
- During the fake ending, Michael is the third protagonist in the series to be fired, following Mike Schmidt from the first game, and Fritz Smith from the second game.
- However, he doesn't receive a slip stating that he is fired, unlike Mike Schmidt and Fritz Smith.
- Michael speaks with a robotic voice in the final cutscene. This caused some confusion over whether this was intentional. Scott Cawthon later confirmed that this was for dramatic effect.
|The following section is rather large and has been truncated for ease of page viewing.|
To view it, click the [show] tag.
|"Father. It's me, Michael. I did it. I found it. It was right where you said it would be. They were all there. They didn't recognize me at first, but then... they thought I was you. (Heavy sigh) And I found her. I... put her back together, just like you asked me to. She's free now. But something is wrong with me. I should be dead. But I'm not. I've been living in shadows. There is only one thing left for me to do now. I'm going to come find you. [ominous voice] I'm going to come find you..."|
- The "robotic" sound in the voice was actually an unintended side effect of me slowing down the end of the line reading (for dramatic effect). It wasn't intended to sound robotic. Unfortunately, this minor detail caused a lot of confusion. - - Reddit
|Main Five Nights at Freddy's Series Characters|