- Not what you were looking for? See Freddy (disambiguation).
“When you wake up, just remember friends are forever.”
Freddy Fazbear is the titular antagonist of the Five Nights at Freddy's series, who later appears as multiple variations in the succeeding games. Freddy is an animatronic bear and children's entertainer housed at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, alongside Bonnie and Chica. He is the mascot of the original Freddy Fazbear's Pizza chain, and takes the role as the lead singer of the band, standing in the center of the stage. Secretly, Freddy and the other animatronics are haunted by children murdered by a man named William Afton. He and the others are now seeking revenge against their killer by attacking any adults in the pizzeria after-hours in blind rage.
He was the mascot when the first Freddy Fazbear's Pizza was opened in 1983. In 1987, he and the original animatronics had fallen into severe disrepair, and Freddy was replaced by his newer counterpart for the "improved" Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, Toy Freddy. After the pizzeria's closing, as well as the Toy Animatronics being scrapped, he and the original animatronics were refurbished for the new pizzeria, as of the events of the first game. However, after the closure of the new pizzeria, he and the animatronics got dismantled by their killer, William Afton. His soul, along with the others, was presumably set free, as evidenced by the good ending.
Freddy is a brown animatronic bear with a lighter shade of brown on both his stomach and puffy muzzle. On stage, he wears a black top hat, black bow tie with a neck strap, and wields a microphone in his right hand. He has thick black eyebrows, three-toed feet, and three black freckles on both sides of his muzzle. On his palms and underneath his fingers, he has what appears to be paw-like prints. His round ears are articulated and are thus able to move backwards and forward (similar to the ears of several other animatronics). Freddy sports squarish, human-like teeth in his lower jaw, and, like most of the animatronics at the pizzeria (except for Foxy), has no visible teeth on his upper jaw. His fur color in Help Wanted is more desaturated, while the texture is more matted and scratchy, but has a more reflective shiny suit in Special Delivery as if made of different material.
He has human handprints on the right side of his face and the left side of his lower jaw, although they are difficult to locate. His irises are normally of a light, baby blue color, although, presumably for paranormal reasons, they become glossy-black when he is commonly seen on-camera and in one of his jumpscares, rather than his normal costume eyes. The only exceptions with him and his costume eyes are in the group stare onstage, when he is coming down the East Hall, and when he is in the doorway when the power runs out. He and Foxy are the only two animatronics whose pupils glow white in the dark.
As Withered Freddy, he is the older, withered incarnation and the first engineered model. He, along with the four other older animatronics, have all fallen into severe disrepair, and he is replaced by his newer counterpart for the "improved" Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, Toy Freddy. It is explained that he has gone through an attempted retrofit, but was left unfinished after the management chose Toy Freddy instead (much like the other original animatronics being replaced by their respective counterparts). Out of all of the original animatronics, Withered Freddy seems to be the least damaged, with only a few tears through his body. This version of Freddy is later retrofitted and redesigned into the classic Freddy for the events of the first game.
Withered Freddy's overall appearance is unchanged, but small differences are visible—mainly the buttons added to his chest, and a more visible stitching on the underside of his arms. Most notably, however, is the damage on his arms similar to that of Foxy's, showing parts of his endoskeleton. He also seems to be lacking kneecaps. Additionally, both of his knees are damaged, with visible wires poking out of his left knee. His body segment is also smaller and his hat is removable, as it is seen sitting on the floor next to him in the Parts/Service room. It should be noted that he still holds a microphone. Withered Freddy has an upper set of teeth, while his head appears far blockier. In addition to this, parts of Freddy's endoskeleton teeth are also slightly visible. His freckles are gone, his eyebrows are thinner, and he has embossed inner ears. His eyes are in a slightly different position, making one of his eyes go up and down, and also seem to have been placed deeper within the mask. Also, his muzzle appears to be smaller and much rounder. The reason for his disrepair is due to neglect by the company and the fact that he is simply used as spare parts for the newer animatronics. Withered Freddy's pupils can sometimes be seen illuminating white glows. In Help Wanted, Withered Freddy's design remains unchanged, however, the most noticeable change is that he has a darker shade of brown.
Based on the Freddy Fazbear's Pizza theme song, during the day, Freddy loves to have fun and is also shown to be laid-back, easygoing, and happy-go-lucky.
However, during the night, Freddy is shown to be taunting constantly, laughing at the night guard and playing a song before triggering a jumpscare. He is also shown to be sneaky, as he moves in the shadows towards the night guard and even manages to slip through the door quietly without the guard noticing. This reveals a darker and taunting side of his personality.
In Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery, Freddy gets a new voice, one that is very deep and a bit glitchy. Freddy is shown to be openly malicious, taunting, and loves to scare his victims, but some of his lines suggest that he is somewhat merciful. Overall, Freddy is shown to have a childlike sense of mischief and sadism.
As Withered Freddy, nothing much is known about his personality. However, Withered Freddy shows that Freddy has a benevolent side, as it's shown in Five Nights at Freddy's 2 that he appeared to be protective of children as he tried to save them from his killer, William Afton, in the SAVETHEM minigame; however, he was too late.
With similar technology to the funtime animatronics that allow costume plates to be opened immediately, Freddy's bow tie allows the torso to open when the button is pressed for easier access to the innards. His endoskeleton includes a safety latch, which is a strange metallic black and yellow wire that can extend a metal bar to lock it in place. Freddy's endoskeleton features a red button that powers said safety latch. Freddy's music box is tucked safely to the left of Freddy's endoskeleton.
|Five Nights at Freddy's||Major character||First appearance; main antagonist.|
|Five Nights at Freddy's 2||Minor character||Seen in the End-of-night cutscenes.|
|Five Nights at Freddy's 3||Minor character||Empty suit (Doorway of the Office)|
Playable minigame character (Minigames)
|Five Nights at Freddy's 4||Cameo||As a plushie.|
|Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location||Cameo||Mentioned-only.|
|Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator||Cameo||Seen in the cutscenes.|
|Ultimate Custom Night||Major character||Selectable antagonist.|
|Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted||Major character||Posthumous antagonist.|
|Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery||Major character||Posthumous antagonist.|
|Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach||Cameo||Displayed with few suit parts for the Rockstar Row museum.|
- Freddy Fazbear (Novel Trilogy)
- Freddy Fazbear (Fazbear Frights)
- Freddy Fazbear (FNaF World)
- Freddy Fazbear (Freddy in Space)
- Freddy Fazbear (FNaF Plus)
- "A light brown animatronic bear; wears a black bow tie and black top hat; carries a microphone in his right hand that we're sure he'd find a creative way to kill you with. Enhancing his face shows a handprint across his right eye, and another dark mark (possibly a handprint) along the lower left side of his jaw." - The Freddy Files/The Freddy Files: Updated Edition | Chapter 1: Five Nights at Freddy's | Page 12
- "A light brown bear animatronic with a black bow tie and top hat, singer in the animatronic band, and the mascot of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. When his face is enhanced, it reveals a handprint on his right eye and another across his lower jaw. His eyes change color from brown to blue when he appears outside the office door." - Five Nights at Freddy's: The Ultimate Guide | Chapter 14: Animatronics Inventory | Page 270
- Faz-Coin's front view | Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted
- "Uh, by now I'm sure you've noticed the older models sitting in the back room. Uh, those are from the previous location. We just use them for parts now. The idea at first was to repair them...uh, they even started retrofitting them with some of the newer technology, but they were just so ugly, you know? The smell...uh, so the company decided to go in a whole new direction and make them super kid-friendly. Uh, those older ones shouldn't be able to walk around, but if they do, the whole Freddy head trick should work on them too, so, whatever." - Phone Guy, Night 2 | Five Nights at Freddy's 2
- Night 6 Ending's newspaper | Five Nights at Freddy's 2
- "Slightly different from FNAF Freddy; now has two buttons on his belly." - The Freddy Files/Updated Edition | Chapter 2: Five Nights at Freddy's 2 | Page 38
- "A withered animatronic with a Freddy design." | Five Nights at Freddy's: The Ultimate Guide | Chapter 14: Animatronics Inventory | Page 286
- Freddy's "Parts and Service" level | Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted