“Congratulations! It appears you have been granted access to additional holiday content. Press the special button in the candy pail to enter the Halloween Hub. Keep in mind that this DLC pack is nothing more than a festive holiday themed add-on, which has absolutely no hidden intent or purpose, so have fun.”
The Curse of Dreadbear mode (also known as Halloween Hub by HandUnit) is a Halloween-themed DLC released by Fazbear Entertainment for The Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience. This expansion features nightmare animatronics, new challenges, and some new faces. Out of game, this mode is included with the purchase of the Curse of Dreadbear DLC pack for Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted.
While in the main hub of The Freddy Fazbear Virtual Experience, the player can access the content by pressing a button on a device sticking out of a Cupcake-themed candy bucket situated on top of the coin counter.
The Intro Area for the Halloween DLC is in an outdoors area. Next to the player is Willowhisper (E-800 Series) projector projecting the logo for Curse of Dreadbear on the side of a mausoleum. Above the mausoleum, two yellow lights shine down on the player, revealed to be the glowing eyes of a giant Dreadbear looming over the area.
Few animatronics, including Withered Chica and Withered Bonnie, can be seen out in the darkness from the back. The area is also decorated with various graves, dead trees, pumpkins, and staticy televisions.
Pressing the continue button by the projector will take the player to the main hub.
The main hub for the Halloween-themed area sits outside on what looks to be a farm. Many pumpkins and hay bails litter the area. To the left, the player can find a tractor and, above it, a blood moon hanging in the green sky. To the right, a barn can be seen which is likely the location of the Prize Room for this mode. Behind the player is a small, wooden stage with a banner over it reading Fallfest '83 and a rusty car with headlights on next to it. Behind the Level Select, a scarecrow can be seen and, way back in the distance, a house on a hill that looks strikingly like the house featured in the menu for Five Nights at Freddy's 4.
The Blacklight Switch switches the game between the standard menu and the Blacklight Menu. There are, however, no Blacklight levels to play. The switch simply acts as a means of switching the area between normal and Blacklight lighting, which is useful for triggering some Easter Eggs, seen below.
- Main article: Prize Room
The Prize Room is placed inside a barn with multiple Halloween decorations. A table sits in front of the player, with a Halloween-themed music box on it. Winding up the music box gives the player a prize. The barn has posters from Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator and Ultimate Custom Night and balloons that the player can pop using the darts on the table in front of them.
Game Over Room
- Main article: Game Over Room
The Game Over Room is the room that the player is sent to upon death. In this room, the player is given the option to restart the level they failed, or go back to the main menu.
The Game Over Room is set in a graveyard with a giant Dreadbear looming over the player, laughing. Behind the player is a closed gate, with Grim Foxy behind it. Occasionally, crows will fly overhead, and Grim Foxy will scratch the gates with his sickle.
- Bats can occasionally fly through the area.
- While the sky is normally green, when loading into the area, it can appear orange, red, or purple.
- The red sky in particular, coupled with the house on the hill in the background, is evocative of the Five Nights at Freddy's 4 menu screen.
- Dreadbear will occasionally walk from the lake under the moon to the players left, behind the player, and into the barn on the player's right.
- If the player goes into Blacklight Mode, presses the button on the left side of the level select, turns around, and turns back, a giant Dreadbear will appear far in the distance, behind the house.
- After the October 29th update, this Easter Egg seems to have been replaced by Glitchtrap dancing in the background.
- Pressing the button will also cause the headlights of the truck to turn purple, being reminiscent of William Afton's car.
- Foxy's pirate ship from Pirate Ride can appear on the lake. After some time, the ship will be dragged under the water by a kraken.
- Using mods, if the player goes to Foxy's pirate ship, it can be seen that it's fairly flat, similar to a cardboard cutout, directly referencing the Pirate Ride game.
- From the intro area when the DLC was first released, Chica is seen with a broken model as a result with using Withered Chica's animation. This error was later fixed in the non-VR version's release.